Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Work and Benefits of Student Engagement

It’s been nearly five months and the big day has nearly arrived – in this time, I have not only been researching student engagement as a PhD student and working full time, but I have also been working with three other PhD colleagues (Carla, Krystallia, and Rebekah) to apply for funding and plan an innovative storytelling workshop for our colleagues. As I’m pretty busy with my job and PhD (some say I'm crazy!), I was at first apprehensive about taking on the extra commitment of helping in this endeavor. However, I felt I should practice what I preach and do a bit more engaging in my student role to contribute to the PhD community at Moray House Graduate School of Education and Sport.

Carla, Krystallia, Rebekkah, and I have written four funding proposals, three of which came together from the EUSA Schools’ Fund, EUSA Global, and the Graduate School to generously fund our endeavor. Throughout this time, it has been a great opportunity for me as a part-time PhD student to get to know these colleagues better and work collaboratively with them which has been beneficial when PhD work can be so solitary. It has helped us develop our resilience and perseverance to write the funding requests, liaise with funders, the storyteller, caterers, etc. When we launched the event, it was fantastic to see all the spaces fill up within 24 hours showing great demand even in the midst of summer holidays. It is now with great anticipation and satisfaction that we’re looking forward to seeing our event come together tomorrow as ‘Telling the Story of Your Research: A 1.5-Day Storytelling Workshop for Academics’. You can follow our journey at #MHresearchstories on Twitter to see how we get on.

We’re hoping to see many benefits of the workshop tomorrow, seeing our PhD community come together whilst learning about each other’s research. We will also learn to communicate more effectively, reflect more on our research journey, construct new knowledge, and capture the complexity of our research in an audience-friendly manner (not bore them!). Personally I’m hoping this workshop will help me to improve my presentation skills in telling the story of my research to engage various audiences, and I look forward to hearing feedback from my peers whilst enjoying the event.

I hope we will see more such student-organised events in our community soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment